Friday, March 4, 2011

Sage & Basil Bread

Since working at the bakery at Eataly I've been wanting to embark on all kinds of bread adventures. This is the first, pretty basic, step. This bread recipe would work just as well turned into rolls (or whatever shape you like) or with a sweet, cinnamony center. 


 What You'll Need:
  • 1 package yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • few tablespoons of butter
  • basil, sage, salt
Put it All Together:
  • Dissolve yeast in warm water, about 10 minutes.
  • Mix dissolved yeast, sugar, salt, oil and 1 cup of flour together. (I used my Kitchen Aid with the bread hook attachment.)
  • *Note: When you add flour, sift it in instead of just dumping it. It helps to aerate it and be less dense.
  • Add the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time making sure it's mixed well after each addition.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5-10 minutes. 
  • Put the dough into a greased bowl, turning it to coat. (I just used cooking spray.) Cover with damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
  • Make herbed butter by mixing a few tablespoons of butter (room temperature) with sage, fresh basil and a little salt. 
  • After the dough has risen to about twice its size, remove from the bowl and smoosh it down into a relatively flat shape. Slather the herbed butter in the middle and then fold the dough over. I ended up making it into a circular, wheel shape because it was easier and just sort of happened.
  • Put the dough onto a greased cookie sheet, cover and let it rise for about another 40 minutes.
  • Bake at 325 for about 20-30 minutes. (Some butter will leak out, but don't worry.)

    1 comment:

    1. I've always just used Fleischman's yeast when I bake bread, but working at Eataly I've learned that it's no good. Apparently most of it is dead. Some time soon I'm going to stop at a bakery and ask if I can buy some of the yeast they use so I can compare.

      ReplyDelete