Friday, February 25, 2011

Ham & Veggie Quiche

Dinner last night? Quiche. Easier than expected. And slightly healthier because I opted out of the traditional flaky, buttery crust. It was a pretty easy dinner and that's that. Read all about it...


What You'll Need:
  • Red-skinned potatoes
  • Ham steak
  • Small zucchini
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Cheese (your choice -- I used cheddar & mozzarella)
  • Eggs (about 5)
  • Milk (I used 1% with a splash of half & half)
Put it All Together:
  • Set your oven to broil. Thinly slice enough potatoes to line the bottom of your baking dish. You're going to put these in the oven just until they get a little brown and crispy to act as a kind of crust. Don't use olive oil, or it'll be too greasy/slippery. I just sprayed the pan with cooking spray and then gave the top of the potatoes a good spray too. Sprinkle with S&P and some garlic powder.
  • Cut up the zucchini into small chunks, put the pieces on a paper-towel lined plate and salt them. They just need to sweat out some of their water a little. 
  • Dice about a third of an onion and cut your cherry tomatoes in half.
  • I browned half of a ham steak on the stove before cutting it up, but I really don't think it had any redeeming factor for the whole dish. So you can skip that and just chop it up.
  • Whisk 5 eggs with milk... probably about a cup to a cup and a half. (You know I don't measure, so...) Also add some half & half to make a little thicker. (I also whisked in a little mascarpone because I had leftover and can't let it go to waste!) Pepper too!
  • On top of your browned potato slices, add ham, zucchini (dredge in some flour first! It will make the quiche less runny/watery!!), tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Pour egg mixture on top and then sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top of that. 
  • Bake at 350 for about an hour. 


*When the quiche has about 20 minutes to go, throw some asparagus (coated with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic chunks) into the oven as well. They make a great side... as well as a nice slice of quality bread. (I used a rustic loaf with pancetta and provolone -- courtesy of Eataly once again!)

(That first piece looks like a mess because I didn't let it cool enough before I cut it -- I just wanted to get the photo out of the way so I could eat it! "Patienncce, Iago...")

No comments:

Post a Comment