Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pears & Gruyere from The Piemaker

One of my favorite shows is Pushing Daisies.
It only made it to two seasons, of course. (That always happens with favorites, right?) This show had a personal, hidden danger though: It made me want to bake. Pies. All the time. For a while I was convinced that I could even open a pie shop (like the Pie Hole, as in shut your) and bake pies and delicious treats all the time. Maybe some day...

One of my favorite pies I've baked was inspired by this show: a pear & apple pie with Gruyere baked into the crust. (Apple pie with cheddar in the crust is also great.) And yesterday that particular mood struck again, but I wasn't really into the idea of a buttery crust, so I created something new...


The Facts Were These:
  • 6 Anjou Pears (peeled & thinly sliced)
  • Flour (as usual, I used white whole wheat)
  • cinnamon
  • ginger
  • cloves
  • oats
  • brown sugar
  • chopped & toasted almonds
  • butter (only about 2 tablespoons & cubed)
  • applesauce (au naturale)
  • salt (a pinch)
  • honey
  • Gruyere cheese, shredded
  1. Mix the pears with flour, cinnamon, cloves & ginger and a little brown sugar. (And some chopped candied ginger if you have it!) I really didn't measure at all... I was in a creative/experimental mood and was just kind of throwing stuff in. But if you've ever made a pie before, you'll have a good feeling for typical ratios. (And if not, just look a pie recipe or two and make your best judgement.)
  2. In a separate bowl, prepare the crumbly topping: flour (about 3/4 of a cup?), oats (maybe closer to 1 cup?), brown sugar*, butter, applesauce (maybe about 1/2 cup, if not more), cloves, ginger & salt. It will get a mold-able (malleable?) kind of consistency.
  3. In a greased baking dish or a pie dish, spread pear mixture over bottom. Sprinkle cheese over pears and drizzle with honey. Add almonds (however much you want) and top with oat crumble. 
  4. Bake at 325 for about a half hour. 
*I ended up using a lot more sugar than I initially intended. But I think in order to get the right consistency for that crumble topping it needs it. I probably ended up using at least a half a cup. I'll measure next time -- this one is definitely a recipe to come back to and work on!


2 comments:

  1. You have a future in pies....let's open a little shop in a quaint RI village. That would be sweet...pies...savory and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a future in pies....let's open a little shop in a quaint RI village. That would be sweet...pies...savory and sweet.

    ReplyDelete