Thursday, April 7, 2011

Carrot - Apple Muffins

 
As I perused various cooking sites in the world of the Internets on Tuesday I had my eye out for a healthy muffin recipe. Many called for ingredients that I didn't have... raisins, cake flour, sour cream. So I got out a notebook and a pen and wrote my own. I actually wrote down amounts and measurements, combining aspects of other recipes I liked and making substitutions for the basic components of a muffin:
  1. Flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
  2. Sugar (I used honey)
  3. Baking powder/soda (I used both)
  4. Eggs (I used... well... eggs)
  5. Fat (I used applesauce -- in place of oil)
  6. Milk (I used yogurt)
With my basic ingredients decided I set out to create a new muffin. To relative success, no less.


What You'll Need:
  • 1 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c. oats
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 c. yogurt (I used plain with a dash of vanilla)
  • 1/3 c. applesauce 
  • 1 c. shredded carrots
  • 1 c. shredded apples
  • flax seeds (sunflower seeds would be good too)
  • chopped candied ginger

Put it All Together
  • Combine flour, oats, baking soda & powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger in a large bowl.
  • Whisk together honey, egg, yogurt and applesauce.
  • Fold in carrots, apples, ginger and flax seeds.
  • Lightly stir wet mixture into dry. Don't over-stir or the muffins will come out dense. (And don't make my mistake: be sure to actually mix all the flour into the batter. I left a bunch of the flour mixture at the bottom of my bowl after I poured half the batter into the muffin pan, so half my muffins came out a bit... err... soggy.)
  • Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment